Saturday, January 22, 2005

Another Blog?

After Six Apart bought LiveJournal I started thinking about the differences between blogs and online diaries, again. Six Apart makes Movable Type and Typepad which is used by many serious bloggers. I've never used it, but I'm told it offers more flexibility and features than Blogger. LiveJournal is also a blogging tool, but it's users don't consider themselves bloggers. They're diarists connected to each other through communities, rather than with links on the first page. Danah goes into all this stuff in greater detail than I want to, but it's clear that LiveJournal is a big community of several smaller communities of diarists.

I've been debating on whether I should start another blog, but make it more like a public diary, like a lot of bloggers do. It's easy to create a new blog with Blogger, but I want to try something new. LiveJournal's become very appealing after being acquired by Six Apart, but it looks ugly, and LJ knows that. I'm waiting for them to update their styles and themes, but I've never kept a diary before, so I'm a little apprehensive. Also I don't want to be attacked by strangers or have something like this happen. I'm still not sure about what I want, but I'll think it over later...