Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Gamer Reborn

Years ago I used to play video games in all my spare time. When I got my first console I would spend hours playing Super Mario and Duck Hunt. Then came Super Nintendo and it was hours with Super Mario 3 and Donkey Kong. Finally, I convinced my mom that there was a revolution in gaming and I had to have a Nintendo 64 for Christmas to be part of it. After a few years of playing Mario 64, I got tired of playing those kind of games.

I shifted more toward RPG and strategy computer games like the Dagger of Amon Ra, King's Quest, and Sim City. But I spent less time playing games overall, focusing on reading, homework, and surfing online instead of playing games. Games just weren't part of my life anymore and I didn't care when new consoles came out.

I thought it would be that way for forever, but this past Christmas that changed. I got a Playstation 2 and five games, so now I'm a gamer again. It's been a long time and I'm pretty rusty with the controller so I'm getting killed a lot in Ghost Recon 2 or giving the Ring of Power to the Nazgul in Lord of the Rings Return of the King. The Sims is more my kind of game, but it's different from the computer version because my character is stuck living with his mom. The most stimulating game I have is Katamary Damacy, where the Prince has to roll up items to make a big Katamari, but I'm stuck on Star 7. I haven't played much of ESPN College Hoops 2K5 because better with another player and everybody here's on vacation.

Now instead of spending a ton of time surfing the Web I can hone my skills on the Playstation 2. It may pay off some day.