Monday, January 24, 2005

A Yellow Raft in Blue Water Movie

The novel A Yellow Raft in Blue Water is going to be made into a movie this year. I read this book three years ago around this time and wasn't impressed much by it. Maybe it was too realistic and too many characters weren't likeable, but I can't remember much about it. All that I can recall is that Rayona's mom drank too much and her dad left her. Probably not the impression the Michael Dorris wanted his readers to have. This is not the book to read if you're stressed out or don't want to feel stressed out. I want to give it another chance, but it made me feel bad. After reading Yellow Raft I took a needed month off from school, but came back to read another equally as depressing book called In Dubious Battle.

Dorris led a troubled life anyways, so it's not a surprise that he could incorporate pain and suffering so well into Yellow Raft. Now I'm unsure if I should see the movie to compare it to the book. It wouldn't bother me if the filmmakers decide on a Hollywood ending, although that's bad news for students required to read the book who want to cheat by watching the movie.