Saturday, April 03, 2004

Safari Tip and Problem

Here's a helpful tip for Safari to make it run a little faster. From MacMegasite
I found that Safari has been slowing down and I would see the spinning cursor for several seconds every time I open a page. Thankfully This tip from Mac OS X Hints solved it.

If you go to ~/Library/Safari you'll see a folder called Icons which caches all of the site favicons. After extensive use, the icon cache can get very large. Simply delete the contents of the Icons folder and the Safari slowdown will be gone.

To prevent it from happening again in the future, make the Icons folder read only. You'll no longer see any Favicons in the bookmark window or menu, but it's a small price to pay for the speedup.

I wouldn't go that far and make the folder read only because I like to see the Favicons, so I think I'm just going to delete the contents of the folder every so often.

My Safari problem is that when I click return (enter) after I type in the site address in the address bar I get a message saying that it can't connect to server. So after I press return again the web site shows up. It's not a huge problem but it's really annoying. I have Mac OS 10.3.2 and will not update to 10.3.3 because, "if it ain't broke don't fix it," and I've heard reports that the upgrade doesn't help. Now I have 10.3.3, but I don't think it's helped the problem, which has gone away on it's own. I'd like to continue to hope that the problem will go away on it's own. Hopefully it won't come back.