Friday, April 30, 2004

What Do/Don't You Eat?

I have the worst diet of all my acquaintances. It's not filled with junk food, instead it's not filled with very much food. Starting from best to worse, breakfast is the one complete meal of the day that I eat. Sausage, eggs, hash browns, a banana, strawberries, and some pear are usually on the menu. It's plenty to get me going in the morning and holds me over until I get home from school. After that, there's no telling what or when my next meal will be. Rule for healthy eating: Eat meals at relatively the same time every day. Since I have a lighter schedule now I have some time to cook my own meals, but I hate shopping for food. I'm not used to buying food for myself (and my dad) to make meals with so I try to avoid going to the super market as much as possible. After living at home for a long time, it's hard for young people living on their own to learn how to feed themselves. Eventually most learn how to do this by the time they start feeding other people too. My dad doesn't shop for food to make meals because I don't think he's learned how to do this. I live at home with my dad now so I have a tendency not to even think about dinner (we never eat lunch). I've been looking for old forgotten stuff from the back of the pantry to eat.

My main snack is peanut butter and saltines. I eat that after school and for dinner and have not tired of it yet. I also eat grapefruit, bananas, ramen noodles, peanut butter sandwiches, and canned soups. We're starting to run out of a lot of food, foods that my mom knew bought but my dad doesn't understand what they are. There was one point in time when he bought me some South Pacific TV dinners but I got tired of them. All of the food I eat, except for the fruit, is unhealthy in large proportions; I've gained weight. The poor diet is also causing me sleeping problems. I never realized how good home cooked meals were until my mom left and my dad "took charge".

In reality I don't think I have the stamina to come up with recipes and buy ingredients, and neither does my dad. I made a Martha Stewart macaroni and cheese which took an hour and a half to prepare because I'm bad at timing things. After 30 minutes of baking in the oven I finally completed a main course and nothing else. I don't see how Martha or any other domestics can pull meals together day after day. Tomorrow I'm going to go to the grocery store, hopefully I'll pick up edible items that will last more than two days.