Saturday, April 10, 2004

Tomb Raider

I watched Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life on Friday, a day off from school. I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars because I didn't get bored and the plot was okay. The first movie, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider was a little on the tacky side because the special effects weren't as good. I also liked the sequel because of the technology, ancient history (inaccurate, but it's Hollywood, so I wasn't surprised), and different locations featured. Some of tech wasn't too impossible/James Bond-like, and could probably used in real life. Historic elements included mentions of the Santorini earthquake, Alexander the Great, and some Greek mythology among other things. Croft and her partner travel the world a bit more, stopping off in Europe, Asia, and Africa. The plots not too bad either. Lara's trying to stop a biological weapons producer from finding and using Pandora's Box to wipe out most of the world's population, or at least the "undesirable" people.

It got me thinking about Saddam Hussein's Iraq, biological weapons, and weapons of mass destruction. I don't think Saddam had as sophisticated a biological weapons program as this guy Reiss did in the movie. Who makes biological weapons anyways and how lucrative is the market? I'm not interested in making them since I don't like biology (I can't stand looking at cells under a microscope, let alone diseases). All in all, it wasn't a waste of an evening.