Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Getting the Extreme Close Up

Is it me, or is the macro setting on Sony digital cameras broken? Using a CyberShot DSC-V1 I've tried to take pictures of things really close up, but to stay in focus I can only get so close, and that's not close enough! This is supposed to be a good camera for easy point and shoot photography but I can't set it up right to get a simple macro shot. Using an old 2.1 megapixel Nikon Coolpix 775 I can get extremely close to anything I want and the images turn out perfect. What am I doing wrong?

Update
I realized that the Coolpix has a closer range than the CyberShot, so it can get closer. I figured that since the CyberShot was newer it would have better everything, but that's not the case (it should be the case). Even the Coolpix 5200 has a slightly smaller (1.6 inches to infinity) macro setting than it's older cousin.