Monday, December 06, 2004

Yahoo Doesn't Like the Mac

Even though they discretely upgraded my mailbox to 250mb, instead of the standard 100, Yahoo isn't my favorite web service. Comparing the quality of their services between the two platforms, it's clear they don't like the Mac very much, especially OS X. Messenger on OS X hasn't been updated in a long time, and many of the tabs like Weather and News don't work at all. I'll admit that the Windows version of Messenger has too many bells and whistles that take up memory, but I'd like a program that works.

If you like watching music videos on Launch, then I'm sorry to inform you that it doesn't work with OS X, and probably won't in the near future. I wanted to watch a Destiny's Child video one time so I ran Netscape 4.7 in the Classic environment, but it wouldn't work! I download another version of Netscape 4.7x and still no luck. Why does Yahoo block access to this kind of media when the Mac operating system has been proven to handle this very well.

Somebody needs to write a letter or form some kind of petition to request that Yahoo upgrade it's services for Mac users. I think I'll ask Yahoo support services why they don't support the Mac platform as much as Windows. My guess was that it's a great conspiracy to subordinate Mac users.

Update
I emailed the Yahoo Launch support team yesterday and they responded today. They said they may offer Launch for OS X in the future, but they still want to hear feedback from their customers. So, I guess if enough Mac users email Yahoo things may change.