Friday, March 11, 2005

Tired of Michael Jackson

Today I finally watched some of E!'s reenactment of the Michael Jackson trial to see what all the fuss was about. Also, I really wanted to see what the actor playing Michael looked like and was impressed with the resemblance, especially the drawn-on black nose holes. Seeing the reenactment reaffirmed my stance on this whole issue: I don't care. I didn't care when the allegations were made, the court date set, the jury was being selected, Michael danced for fans, he got sick, he wore pajamas, he was late, etc. I was tired of hearing about this case ever since it started and am baffled that most of the country isn't either. I remember a few years back when there were three Michael Jackson primetime specials in one week, including the one with Martin Bashir, and I was really sick of that. Now I would rather have a week of Michael Jackson documentaries than months of molestation cases.

The documentaries really annoyed people but this molestation trial is being shoved down our throats and not many seemed bothered by it. Everyday I look at the Google News front page and there's hundreds of news sources talking about the Michael Jackson trial. It is a computer-generated news engine and can't decide what we're sick of, but I look at the Yahoo most emailed news stories and this trial is always on the list. Why do people want to hear about this trial?

I am a fan of Michael's music and think he's one of the best entertainers alive, but the constant media coverage of his life is antagonizing. If he's not singing, dancing, or dying I don't want to hear about him.