Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Spending Less Time Online

For the past four years I've spent more and more time sitting in front of the computer on the internet. Most, if not all, of this time is wasted time that could be spent on better ventures. What have I done all this time on the internet? In the last two years I started a blog, figured out what IRC is, found several file sharing programs, joined some social networking groups, and made a profit of $2.65, a cell phone, and one flosser. Because I've wasted all that precious time, I'm going to limit the amount of time I spend on the internet.

When I'm not on the internet I feel that I'm missing out on news and other random facts that I think I need to know and share with others. After I wake up, before I get dressed, brush my teeth, and eat breakfast I go to the computer, start my newsreader and look at some news sites. But that's not enough information, I have to browse some random sites not in my newsreader and look up more info on the news I read in the morning. Before I know it it's time for dinner and I've spent hours doing a lot of something but not really anything.

I can't think of any reason why somebody needs to spend hours on the internet when they don't have to. That's why I'm going to limit my internet use to two hours per day. It's just an experiment, but I have a feeling I'm going to replace the internet with TV and book/magazine/newspaper reading though.