Saturday, November 01, 2003

Addicted to Homework

Homework addiction strikes many students. It comes in many different forms, from the mild to extreme. Some students get all their homework done in a timely manner, while others complete homework days/week/months before it is due.

I'm somewhere in between these poles. I get my homework done on time, spending most of my free time doing it. I do manage to make room for television and the internet, but little else. Rarely, I'll have a history journal completed before Thursday night and if I find out that I spent hours on math homework due a day later I'll be upset. The feeling of getting work done ahead of time is desirable to me, but not to the point of sacrificing boob tube and mind wandering idleness. I am somewhat of a procrastinator, but I do not and cannot stay up late doing work. My addiction prevents me from doing so.

While the addiction itself is a choice, it can creep up on those who do not wish to be addicted to homework. Approving of, liking, and enjoying homework have little to do with the addiction, although this is a rare side-effect. One may do things like skip out on going to the movies on a school night to do a chemistry lab, while others will refuse to schedule non-homework related events on Saturdays or Sundays. These are the first signs of addiction, and if they continue for more than two week, a person is diagnosed addicted to homework.

The side-effects of addiction can be positive, negative, or both. Positive side-effects are receiving high marks, extra free time, and acceptance to ivy league institutions. Negative side-effects include losing friends (good friends), abandonment of family, and forgetfulness of the definition of fun. People may possess a combination of these, so counseling is advised to maintain positive effects only.

If you know someone who is battling homework addiction's negative side-effects, have her play Grand Theft Auto III or watch Fine Living channel. Anything else the typifies the anti-homework is acceptable too.