Friday, November 07, 2003

Fair and Balanced News

I read the news daily to learn about what's going on in the world. I read Google News and BBC News because they're in my toolbar in Safari. Google is okay except I don't like the fact that all the articles are chosen by a computer, and the BBC site has articles written mainly by BBC reporters. I just glance over these sites to see if anything catches my attention, reading the article titles and subtitles so I know the point of the article. When I go to other news sites it's usually to find out information on other topics, but not to learn a different perspective.

That is why I don't like spending a lot of time reading the news. Each news site presents a different perspective on the same topic and it can be confusing to figure out what is really going on. Many of the journalists are good writers that can present a convincing argument and make good seem like evil and vice versa. Once I sift through all the bias, I have to read another article from a different news site and do the same.

Some people can do this every day; they read fast enough and are able to sort facts from fluff. I don't want to do this, but I don't want to be shut out from what's really going on. I need to find a reliable news source that isn't going to cloud their articles with self-interest bias. What's a good fair and balanced news site?