Friday, February 06, 2004

Still No Time

I still haven't figured out how to manage my time so I can update my blog on the weekdays. I've been so busy with all my work that by the end of the day I have no energy left. But that is what everybody who's busy says. When you are not overburdened by tons of work it is hard to understand what a person who is means. When you've got loads of free time you think that other people should know how to manage their time, that they just aren't responsible, or that they should be able to "make" time. Making time is a concept in American society that goes hand in hand with optimal efficiency. Basically, everyone should have time for anything that will benefit them. Not doing enough work is frowned upon, while doing too much work is almost rewarded.

People like to hear about the hard worker who always gets her work done and is able to make deadlines. The fact that she has little time for herself and family is ignored because her career should not be jeopardized. Our politicians like to remind us that Americans are the hardest working people on the planet. This has nothing to do with how much effort we put into our work, but that we have one of the longest work weeks among postindustrial societies.

Still, I believe that we are obsessed with working, and could use a nice siesta every so often. Siesta time used to be for reserved for the weekends, but now work is spilling over into that time frame, virtually eliminating any breaks. I try to have 5 to 8 hours of break time each weekend. I spend that time watching TV, movies, and blogging. All the rest is dedicated to work, and I am doing my work. I deserve an award.