Monday, August 04, 2003

Back to School Prep

Unfortunately there comes a time when you have to admit that summer is almost over and it's time to go back to school. It wasn't easy for me; I was persuaded by the reminder to get my books, i.d. card, planner, etc. Lucky for me school doesn't start until the end of the month, however some of my friends aren't so lucky and school begins in about 10 days. Consequently this means I have to visit with all my friends before the various d-days occur, leaving little time to go out of town. No, there will definately not be any major vacations this summer, but I will get to go to Chicago and a little town in the north before time runs out. I didn't really do much of anything this summer but I certainly feel that that time was spent well. When I say "well," I mean that I was able to rebuild and repair myself after damage during the school year. I think summer is meant for that and anything that contributes to the damage done is not a very wise choice. Some people say that employment should be sought during the summer, and after pondering that idea for longer than I wanted to, I have decided that this is wrong. Doing absolutely nothing valuable to society or nature is justified if the self is improved in some way. Then when the resting period eventually ends the self can return to the pressures of life and its responsibilities more efficiently than if it wasn't rested properly. In other words, be lazy during the summer, work during the school year. For those who don't have this luxury of retiring during the summer, take advantage of any off-time availabe. Doing this can only produce good things. On the subject of getting ready for work, my advice would be to never leave it to the last minute. However I always leave it to the last minute. Like a cat that chases a rat, it's in my nature to leave it to the last minute. Punctuality is probably not natural for most people, yet it can be learned with a brief assessment of values, etc. It takes a loooong time for many, including myself, to learn it. That's why I'm going to plan the end of summer/beginning of the school year tomorrow, maybe. If anybody has any suggestions as to avoiding procrastination please feel free to comment. Normal people will appreciate your efforts. :-)